Sane and Savory Cookbook will be available SOON on Amazon.com for your Kindle.
Green tea and particularly Green Chai Tea has become my morning wake up drink. I make this concoction every morning at home, not for the health benefits alone, but because I love the way this drink tastes. Green tea has a little kick to it and many health benefits.
- It is full of antioxidants.
- It contains some caffeine and also an amino acid called L-theanine, which does not make you jittery, but stimulates brain function.
- Green tea increases fat burning in the body by 17%.
- The antioxidants in green tea may help reduce certain types of cancer.
- Green tea may lower the risk of Alzheimer’ s and Parkinson’s diseases in elderly people.
- The catechins in green tea kill bacteria and inhibit things such as flu viruses. These same contents also improve dental health.
- Green tea may help to curb Type II diabetes. The recipe that follows only uses Stevia, so it is sugar-free.
- It can help you lose weight and help you decrease your abdominal fat.
- Green tea may reduce your risk of cardiovascular problems such as strokes and heart attacks.
- Green tea may help you live longer. In the studies of thousands of Japanese people who drank about 5 cups of green tea a day, this was true.
The point is that the health effects of green tea are pretty amazing. Green tea also makes a great ice tea in the summer. Try to skip the sugar and use Stevia, or use no sweetener at all. The following is a recipe for Pumpkin Green Chai Tea. It is both sugar-free and dairy free. If you can tolerate dairy, replace the Almond Drink with milk. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
Pumpkin Green Chai Tea
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
4 tea bags green Chai Tea
1/2 cup of Almond Drink
4 slices fresh ginger (about 1 to 2 inches long)
8 whole cloves
8 whole allspice
4 dashes organic ground coriander about ¼ teaspoon total
4 dashes cinnamon
4 dashes cayenne pepper
4 dashes turmeric
2 teaspoons canned organic or fresh cooked pumpkin
4 packets Stevia (SweetLeaf ®)
4 dollops whipping cream (optional)
4 cups filtered water
While you are boiling the water, put a tea bag, piece of ginger, 2 cloves and 2 whole allspice and about a half teaspoon of pumpkin into each cup. Pour in the Almond drink. .Once the water has boiled pour some into each cup. Then add the dash of turmeric, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon. Lastly, add the Stevia to taste. Allow the tea to steep for about 3 to 5 minutes. You can make Green Chai Tea the same way; just leave out the pumpkin.